0 items - $0.00 0

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What are the requirements for buying a firearm in Washington State?

For long gun purchases, such as a rifle or shotgun, you must be at least 18 years of age and possess a valid US driver’s license from any state. You must pass a federal background check, and you must be a US citizen. For an immigrant alien you need to provide proof of residence of a minimum of 90 days. Non-immigrant aliens must also provide 90 days proof of residence and a hunting license (or any other equal form of Federal exemption). There is no mandatory waiting period necessary for long guns, unless the NICS put a delay on your purchase.

For handguns, Washington State law dictates that we can only sell to a Washington resident with a valid Washington driver’s license or Washington ID. You must be at least 21 years of age, a US citizen, or an immigrant alien with 90 days proof of residence of a minimum of 90 days, or a non-immigrant alien with 90 days proof of residence and a hunting license. Additionally, if you do not possess a concealed pistol license there is a mandatory ten day waiting period for the background check. The ten day waiting period is ten business days; weekends and holidays DO NOT count towards the ten business days.

If you have a Washington State issued concealed pistol license, then you do not need to wait the mandatory ten day waiting period. We are able to call in your background check and you can usually leave with your pistol the same day.

2. Are there any fees or special licenses for purchasing a firearm in Washington State? No, there are no special fees or required licensing for purchasing a firearm. You only need to pay normal Washington State sales tax when you buy a firearm. A concealed pistol license is not required to purchase and own a firearm. Please refer to your local law enforcement for specific laws governing carrying and transporting your firearms.

3. What would make me ineligible to own a firearm? The following is a list of items that would prohibit you from possessing, receiving, shipping, or transporting a firearm:
a. You have been convicted of crimes punishable by imprisonment for over one year, except state misdemeanors punishable by two years or less. b. You are a person who has been convicted of a felony offense. c. You are a fugitive from justice. (Have an active Arrest Warrant) d. You are an unlawful user of certain depressant, narcotic, or stimulant drugs. e. You were adjudicated as mentally defective or incompetent, of committed to any mental institution. f. You are an illegal alien. g. You have renounced your U.S. citizenship. h. You were convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence. i. You are subject to a court order that restrains you from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner. (Restraining order, T.R.O, etc.)

4. I do not live in the state of Washington. Can I buy something on your website? Yes, we can sell to out of state residents as long as the item is legal to own in your state. It is up to you as the Buyer to check with your local laws and verify that you can legally own the item before you buy. All firearms sold to people living out of state must be sent to a dealer with a valid FFL. A copy of the FFL must be sent to Discount Gun Sales before we ship any firearm. Firearms cannot be sent to a purchaser’s home or business.

4a. If I buy a gun on your website, can I have it shipped directly to my house or business? No, all firearms must be shipped to a dealer with a valid FFL. If you purchase a firearm from us online, you are required to provide us with a copy of your dealer’s FFL before we ship it out.

5. If I do not see the item that I want on your website, can you special order it for me? Yes, Discount Gun Sales proudly carries a diverse firearm inventory, but if you do not see what you want, feel free to contact us to check on pricing and availability. We are able to process your order over the phone as well.
All special orders must be paid in full prior to us placing the order. Cancellation of a special order for any reason will result in a 25% cancelation fee or $100, whichever is greater.

6. Do you do layaways? No, we are not offering layaways at this time.

7. What does it mean when my background check comes back as proceed, delay, or denial?
Proceed – You passed the background check and the transfer may proceed.

Delays –A delay simply means the NICS examiner needs more time to gather more information to verify your identity and complete the background check. Common reasons for a delay include those with a common name or if the NICS computer systems are slow and the process times out. When NICS informs us that the transaction will be delayed, they will also provide a release date. If NICS does not respond before that date, then we, the dealer, can still legally transfer the firearm to you, the purchaser. Delays can take anywhere from 1 day to 7 days.

Denial – You did not pass the background check and the transfer of the firearm is prohibited. The reason for a denial is not provided to the dealer because this is private information regarding the customer. A person that has been denied can appeal the decision if they feel that it was an error. The appeal process can take anywhere from 14 to 150 days to complete. Detailed instructions for an appeal can be found here: NICS Appeal. Should you determine that you are not eligible to own a firearm, we will issue a refund back to you in the form of a corporate check less a 25% administrative fee. Please allow up to four weeks for processing.

8. What is a CPL? Washington State is a Shall-Issue state for conceal pistol licenses. This simply means that you are able to obtain a concealed pistol license if you meet the state requirements and you apply for it. You must apply for the CPL at the local police station where you reside. Firearms dealers do not do CPLs. For detailed instructions and requirements, click the following link: Wa DOL Conceal Pistol License
You are not required to take any classes and you do not need to register a weapon for the Washington State concealed pistol license.

8a. Which conceal carry permits are valid in Washington State? Washington concealed pistol licenses will be recognized in the following states, and concealed weapons licenses issued in the listed states will be recognized in Washington State, so long as the handgun is carried in accordance with Washington law.
Florida* (WA residents only)
North Carolina
Utah NOTE: Handguns must be carried in accordance with the law of the state you are visiting. Be sure to check the laws of the other state before traveling there with your handgun.
***Possessing a CPL from a Washington-recognizing state (Utah for example), does not act in the same manner as a WA CPL for purchasing. A WA CPL must be held if you want to leave with your handgun the same day.***


9. Do you buy used guns or do trade-ins? Yes, we do buy used guns and take trade-ins on a case-by-case basis. Feel free to visit any of our locations for more information.

10. Where are your other locations?
We have a variety of locations in Seattle, Bothell, Tukwila and Vancouver, WA.

11. If I don’t like what I purchased, can I return it to you for a refund? No, all sales are final once the item has left the store. For liability reasons, we cannot refund ammunition and firearms sales. If your item has a manufacturing defect, then we can help you ship it back to the manufacturer for warranty repairs.

12. Where is a good place to shoot and get lessons? We are affiliated with a range called Shooting Sports Northwest. They are located in Bothell, right on the Bothell-Everett Highway. It is the only range in the northwest that lets people shoot re-active steel target. Imagine playing Whack-a-Mole with a gun. They also offer lessons for every level of shooter. For more information, please visit www.shootingsportsnorthwest.com

13. Do you offer gunsmith services?
No. We do not have have a gunsmith currently.

14. Do you do transfers? Yes, we do transfers for a fee of $100.00 + Tax per serial number. Transfers will only be accepted from other licensed FFL dealers. Sending FFL dealers are required to provide a copy of their current FFL prior to Discount Gun Sales releasing the firearm. This can be mailed, faxed or e-mailed to us. Firearms that arrive without an FFL or from a private party will be sent back to the original shipper. Shipping charges will apply.

In accordance with Washington State law, the customer is required to pay a 9.5% tax to the state of Washington for the assessed market value of the firearm(s). FFL Purchase: For those who have purchased a firearm from another FFL, it is required the sending party encloses a copy of an invoice along with their FFL license. Used Firearm Transfer: For those who are simply having a weapon transferred through another FFL to our company are required generate an invoice to be enclosed along with their FFL.

**ATTENTION** If an invoice is not enclosed, we will not be able to transfer the weapon. However, we do offer a market value assessment service. This program will assign a “fair market value” of the transferred firearm by comparing this same product versus similar products in comparable condition. This information will allow us to generate an invoice and conclude the transfer. The fee for this service is $25.00.

15. Who should I contact regarding employment with your company? We are always interested in receiving applications from enthusiastic and knowledgeable people. Please send a resume and a brief description of your skills and experience to: contact@fnweaponry.com.